Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Wedding Reading Explained

As noted on the program, the reading was titled "The Variorum Camper: Backend of Forever (Part VII)" by Dale Porter and Reni Krunks, ed.

There is no such poem by that title. "Variorum" means:
Main Entry: 1var·i·o·rum
Pronunciation: "ver-E-'Or-&m, "var-, -'or-
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin variorum of various persons (genitive plural masculine of varius), in the phrase cum notis variorum with the notes of various persons
1 : an edition or text with notes by different persons
2 : an edition containing variant readings of the text

I'm sure absolutely no one paid any attention to it, but the editors ("ed.,") were half-assed psuedo-anagrams of our names, as we put together the reading from the following sources:

In the very midst of wild, intoxicating passions, their hearts were sober and serious…
-a line from the short story "Patriotism" by Yukio Mishima

Love is not two people gazing at each other, but two people looking ahead together in the same direction...
-don't remember where this came from

True love helps you find things
you didn't know were missing
in your life. It helps you fill spaces
you didn't know were empty.
-Kobi Yamada

I love you not only
for what you are,
but for what I am
when I am with you.
-Elizabeth Barrett Browning

For it was not in my ear
you whispered, but into my heart.
It ws not my lips you kissed, but my soul.
-Judy Garland

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home